For the final post of 2012 I thought I'd cover the conversion and scratch building of an AT7 Saxhorn using figures from Elhiems Iraqi AT4. The AT7 was initially introduced into Motor Rifle and Air Assault units at the end of the 1970s beginning of the 1980s, The system was man portable and could engage targets out to a range of 1000m. 3 AT7s were issued to the weapons sections of BTR companies and Air Assault Infantry Companies along with 3 PKM GPMGs. It is unlikely that all units scaled for the equipment had received it by the end of the cold war, I suspect but don't know that priority would be with air assault trained Motor Rifle elements as this was where the most utility was likely to be derived. By the 1990s the Soviets had started to introduce the AT13 which was heavier and had a longer range, 2000m.
Whilst Underfire Miniatures make a AT14 it is sold as part of a set which includes an 82mm Morter and the figure is more modern than I was after. I decided to use Elhiems Iraqi AT4 as at the time Matt had not produced a Soviet crewed version, the bonus from this approach is it also provided a "spare" AT4 Launcher which I used to convert ACE BMP 1s to BMP 1Ps. As supplied the product looks like this.
Figures are in chest webbing with map pockets on pants and M1 Helmets, tripod for AT4 is visually different to AT7 as can be seen in the immage below.
- Figures: Remove Map Pockets, add hood and webbing from green stuff
- Tripod: trim to represent three simple angled legs using Clips.
- Launcher: build from plasticard
The launcher was built from a plastic rod with a larger diameter rod sliced and joined to produce the ends, a piece of plastic strip of appropriate length and with one corner chamfered was stuck below the launch tube and finally a smaller diameter piece of rod was attached under the launch tube to represent the site. The launcher was then attached to the amended tripod using green stuff.
The crew had their patch pockets removed and were then attached to the bases before being worked on with green stuff, the uniforms were amended first thickening the legs and waist and adding a hood, once this was dry some additional webbing elements were added also fashioned from green stuff.
The Figures were painted in "Sun Bunnies" in line with all my Motor Rifle and Airborn/Air Assault troops. Vallejo Olive Green 967 for the base colour, with the Camouflage patches in buff 976, the weapons were a mix of black grey and 977 Desert Yellow in an attempt at the mustard colour of the equipment shown in the photos at the top. Bases are laser cut MDF covered in sand and white glue then painted GW Calthan Brown, highlighted with desert yellow before having a variety of scatter materials added.
AT 13 Metis M @ Warfare.ru