Central Intelligence Agency, Freedom of Information Act Web Site
I came across this gem of a site recently it contains a significant number of declassified Top Secret reports that cover the whole of our period of interest. Some of these are quite significantly redacted but all are largely useable where they are on topic. So far I have explored the fairly obvious search terms of Soviet, Motor Rifle Division and Tank Division and have returned a number of Interesting documents that throw considerable light on the geographic and temporal distribution of Soviet equipment and organisational change. In addition the reports within the archive cover such topics as command and control, operational use and some concept of what the oppositions plan might have been.
Useful articles recovered to date include:
- The Cutting Edge: Soviet Mechanised Infantry Operations, 1987, this is a bit of a must read document covering readiness states as well as organisational, doctrinal and equipment change throughout the 80s. In addition it includes an examination of the downstream impact of the latest equipments and experimental organisations, including the All arms corps and the developing use of Brigades.
- Employment of Warsaw Pact Forces against NATO,1981
- Reorganisation of Soviet Ground Forces in East Germany, 1983. This report covers the evolution of GSFG forces from the late seventies through to 1983, It articulates the changes undertaken and the level of change achieved against a restructured MRD, MRR, MRB and equivalent tank units, and speculates about the onward progress of changes in train. In addition to the Divisional change it also outlines changes to artillery units at Army and Front levels.
- Organisational Changes in Soviet Tank and Motor Rifle Divisions 1975 - 1980
- Soviet Forces and Capabilities in the Southern TVD, 1983
- Soviet Ground Forces Trends, 1984
- Soviet Tank Programs, Dec 1984 This document outlines what tank types were employed where and what the upgrade paths were likely to be. The technologies being introduced and the shifting usage patterns of the different types over time.
- Front Offensive Operations,
- The Soviet Motorised Rifle and Tank Division, Organisation Size and Logistic Capability, 1970